Defeating "Artist's Block"


Today, I'm going to try and give my solutions to one of the most painful issues an artist can have in the world of art making. You finally have time to create, but no inspiration whatsoever. So you will probably give up and go shopping or waste your life playing Sims 3 (personal experience). Here is how to not end up playing  Sims.


0. (Edit from 2013) Deadlines



Something that has worked better than all of these suggestions I listed is harsh and brutal deadlines. I graduated this Spring, and nothing gets creativity going like having to be in three different art shows by the end of the semester. So enroll in art classes, or if you have good self discipline, create some self imposed deadlines. You could also enter a juried art show or contest to force the inspiration to the surface.


OMG deadlines



1. The 30 Day Drawing Challenge


This challenge has been amazing for me in solving this problem. It conveniently supplies you with a daily inspiration prompt, and destroys the having to stare at a blank sheet of paper. Even if you hate the daily assignment, you will probably think of something you would rather be drawing instead, and you still end up inspired. Here is the 30 Day Drawing Challenge


2. Character Attribute Randomizer


The second solution is Pickle Kitty's Character Attribute Randomizer. This website is amazing for creating very interesting and inspiring character trait combinations. These are probably things you may have never thought of before. It really helps you to overcome getting stuck in a character design rut of drawing the gorgeous heroine/ attractive hero over and over again. 


3. Listen to Instrumental Music While Exercising



This tactic works for me because I am completely away from the blank paper, and my mind can wander freely as I run/bike/walk. Music with words guides me to much personally, I need music in which my mind is responsible for all the imagery. Personally, I love listening to Gustav Holst's Planets Suite when I run. The music gives a crystal clear vision of outer space, wonder, and dramatic visions which I have used in many of my recent drawings. 


So, these are my three main ideas and tactics for defeating Artist's Block. 


Other random bits of advice would be to get enough sleep so your brain can function and create, look at other people's artwork for inspiration, or just draw the most mundane thing around you. This could turn into your masterpiece. With that said, I hope this article helps you out of your rut and into creating again.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Sonja Funnell Art: Defeating "Artist's Block"

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Defeating "Artist's Block"


Today, I'm going to try and give my solutions to one of the most painful issues an artist can have in the world of art making. You finally have time to create, but no inspiration whatsoever. So you will probably give up and go shopping or waste your life playing Sims 3 (personal experience). Here is how to not end up playing  Sims.


0. (Edit from 2013) Deadlines



Something that has worked better than all of these suggestions I listed is harsh and brutal deadlines. I graduated this Spring, and nothing gets creativity going like having to be in three different art shows by the end of the semester. So enroll in art classes, or if you have good self discipline, create some self imposed deadlines. You could also enter a juried art show or contest to force the inspiration to the surface.


OMG deadlines



1. The 30 Day Drawing Challenge


This challenge has been amazing for me in solving this problem. It conveniently supplies you with a daily inspiration prompt, and destroys the having to stare at a blank sheet of paper. Even if you hate the daily assignment, you will probably think of something you would rather be drawing instead, and you still end up inspired. Here is the 30 Day Drawing Challenge


2. Character Attribute Randomizer


The second solution is Pickle Kitty's Character Attribute Randomizer. This website is amazing for creating very interesting and inspiring character trait combinations. These are probably things you may have never thought of before. It really helps you to overcome getting stuck in a character design rut of drawing the gorgeous heroine/ attractive hero over and over again. 


3. Listen to Instrumental Music While Exercising



This tactic works for me because I am completely away from the blank paper, and my mind can wander freely as I run/bike/walk. Music with words guides me to much personally, I need music in which my mind is responsible for all the imagery. Personally, I love listening to Gustav Holst's Planets Suite when I run. The music gives a crystal clear vision of outer space, wonder, and dramatic visions which I have used in many of my recent drawings. 


So, these are my three main ideas and tactics for defeating Artist's Block. 


Other random bits of advice would be to get enough sleep so your brain can function and create, look at other people's artwork for inspiration, or just draw the most mundane thing around you. This could turn into your masterpiece. With that said, I hope this article helps you out of your rut and into creating again.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home