Evolution of a Painting Part One

Here is the painting very close to the initial sketch. The subject is society's blindness from technology, the media, and the choice to remain ignorant in order to live a predictable life, without questioning the established  norms we are taught, and live by. We are constantly entertained, and some find no need to venture outside of this world for knowledge, until it is too late, and the monster which has been blinding you your entire life guides you to your end. 

So I drew the concept very literally, I did about 10 sketches beforehand for the composition, but went for the most obvious interpretation of my idea automatically. The scene I sketched was what I envisioned when I was out running, one of the most annoying but inspirational parts of my day. I created a humanoid monster lurking over the figure, and decided the figure should be a nude in a muddy purple/brown color. No colors were planned, which made it a struggle to move forward. 
 After spending a long time struggling with painting and developing the monster covering the main figure's eyes, I decided to paint it out entirely, and this photo shows the process of this decision. The space was suddenly freed up, and became airy with a lot of potential depth. I began to add more figures to the scene to share the shared struggle the theme of the painting is commenting on. The ground took on a olive green color, and I decided to dress my figures in dark tones with modern clothing.
 Adding texture to the ground was the next part of the process, giving the ambiguous cliff more of a sense of place. While working on the texture, I realized how to deal with the new found space, and sent the cliff winding into the distance. By keeping the sky paint layer thin and the paint application of the cliff thin as well, the painting has a sense of depth it couldn't have accomplished otherwise. A few more figures were added, and were in the sketchy stage.

 This is the point the painting is at now, I have the figures I have added mostly rendered, and the next step is to add more figures moving down the path from the distant space. Things I need to deal with and resolve is if the blind folds are really working on the figure, and how clean and sharp the figures should be rendered.
If anyone reads this thing, I will come back with the crazy sequel to this sometime soon! >_>

Labels: , , ,

Sonja Funnell Art: Evolution of a Painting Part One

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Evolution of a Painting Part One

Here is the painting very close to the initial sketch. The subject is society's blindness from technology, the media, and the choice to remain ignorant in order to live a predictable life, without questioning the established  norms we are taught, and live by. We are constantly entertained, and some find no need to venture outside of this world for knowledge, until it is too late, and the monster which has been blinding you your entire life guides you to your end. 

So I drew the concept very literally, I did about 10 sketches beforehand for the composition, but went for the most obvious interpretation of my idea automatically. The scene I sketched was what I envisioned when I was out running, one of the most annoying but inspirational parts of my day. I created a humanoid monster lurking over the figure, and decided the figure should be a nude in a muddy purple/brown color. No colors were planned, which made it a struggle to move forward. 
 After spending a long time struggling with painting and developing the monster covering the main figure's eyes, I decided to paint it out entirely, and this photo shows the process of this decision. The space was suddenly freed up, and became airy with a lot of potential depth. I began to add more figures to the scene to share the shared struggle the theme of the painting is commenting on. The ground took on a olive green color, and I decided to dress my figures in dark tones with modern clothing.
 Adding texture to the ground was the next part of the process, giving the ambiguous cliff more of a sense of place. While working on the texture, I realized how to deal with the new found space, and sent the cliff winding into the distance. By keeping the sky paint layer thin and the paint application of the cliff thin as well, the painting has a sense of depth it couldn't have accomplished otherwise. A few more figures were added, and were in the sketchy stage.

 This is the point the painting is at now, I have the figures I have added mostly rendered, and the next step is to add more figures moving down the path from the distant space. Things I need to deal with and resolve is if the blind folds are really working on the figure, and how clean and sharp the figures should be rendered.
If anyone reads this thing, I will come back with the crazy sequel to this sometime soon! >_>

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home