First Post-Grad Drawing



It's actually a luxury to be able to make a sketch for a painting or drawing. In school I had three studio classes going at the same time, so the ideas didn't go through much refinement before they went on paper. This was okay for painting, but not so much for watercolor and the unforgiving medium of pen and ink.

So here I'm trying to figure out if my artificial pattern concept comes through without a human figure involved. I don't want these to read as animal illustration, but that's what I feel.

If anyone wants to help out and tell me what the colored sketch feels like to them, illustration or fine art, that would be very helpful. I also wonder if these need to be created on 30x40 canvases to be effective, or if drawing these on 11x14 paper would give people the same feeling. Probably not, I don't know. So many decisions.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Sonja Funnell Art: First Post-Grad Drawing

Thursday, May 16, 2013

First Post-Grad Drawing



It's actually a luxury to be able to make a sketch for a painting or drawing. In school I had three studio classes going at the same time, so the ideas didn't go through much refinement before they went on paper. This was okay for painting, but not so much for watercolor and the unforgiving medium of pen and ink.

So here I'm trying to figure out if my artificial pattern concept comes through without a human figure involved. I don't want these to read as animal illustration, but that's what I feel.

If anyone wants to help out and tell me what the colored sketch feels like to them, illustration or fine art, that would be very helpful. I also wonder if these need to be created on 30x40 canvases to be effective, or if drawing these on 11x14 paper would give people the same feeling. Probably not, I don't know. So many decisions.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Ryan DeBraal said...

Have you considered putting your creatures in a context?

When I look at them I imagine thought bubbles exploring the curiosity that is humankind.

Not so much a "web comic" as a "web commentary"
http://i.imgur.com/3OVMmLQ.jpg

 
At May 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM , Blogger Sonja Funnell said...

I like that idea, I get a graphic feeling from these drawings, and have wondered how typography could fit into the work. Thanks for the input. :)

 

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home