5 Places to Promote Your Art For a Greater Online Presence


Here are 10 websites you can sign up for quickly and easily to saturate the internet with your art presence. Most don't take too much time to create an account for, and updating each of these doesn't take too much maintenance once established. I will also give a star rating for each site to help you assess the quality of each site.

Website #1: Sign up for DeviantArt




I have been on DeviantArt for 7 years now, and this is the website where I have gained the greatest amount of page views and interactions. It was my first experience with self promotion and was a great starting platform.

Pros:



Cons: 



 Website #2: Sign up for Freelanced

I love this website obviously, because as a freelancer, it has all the tools your need to find work. And work equals $$$. 

Pros:
Cons: 
 Website #3: Sign up for Pinterest

This is one of the most visually driven websites I have encountered, and I've had mild success promoting my artwork on it. I'm sure others can have great success if their artwork fits the style of the most popular pins on Pinterest.

Pros: 
Cons: 


Website #4: Sign up for Penciljack


This website is called "The Comics Lab" but they welcome all types of artwork. I was referred here by my dad Steve Funnell, and enjoy the community on this site.

Pros:
Cons: You can't have an icon and signature until you've posted a certain amount of times, and this is painful for the those of us who like everything to be personalized. 

Website #5: Sign up for Fine Art America
Do you like to sell your work but don't want to deal with shipping and losing your original art? This is the solution.

Pros: 
Cons:

So those are my reviews of 5 art websites I use to promote my art. When I recover from typing this,  there are more I'd like to write about.

Leave a comment and let me know if you agree with these reviews.Also, if you have a favorite website for art promotion I didn't mention, let me know.







Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Sonja Funnell Art: 5 Places to Promote Your Art For a Greater Online Presence

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

5 Places to Promote Your Art For a Greater Online Presence


Here are 10 websites you can sign up for quickly and easily to saturate the internet with your art presence. Most don't take too much time to create an account for, and updating each of these doesn't take too much maintenance once established. I will also give a star rating for each site to help you assess the quality of each site.

Website #1: Sign up for DeviantArt




I have been on DeviantArt for 7 years now, and this is the website where I have gained the greatest amount of page views and interactions. It was my first experience with self promotion and was a great starting platform.

Pros:

  •  It's easy to make friends and connections here, and comments are easy to post.
  •  art is visually "collected" into the folders of others can find you easily
  •  there is a decent amount of customization on your personal page
  • you can do well if you find drawing fan art enjoyable.


Cons: 

  • You do well if you find drawing fan art enjoyable. I used to have a lot of loyal followers on Deviantart until I stopped drawing copious amounts of romantic fan art. 
  • It is hard to get noticed when you submit art with the never ending stream of work coming in. And a lot of it doesn't feel like artwork, there are a lot of "nudes", screenshots from games/shows, etc.
  • The artists who are most popular are stuck in the most popular pages, it's hard to move in on them since when you visit DeviantArt, these works always show up, and get more views, comments, and favorites. 


 Website #2: Sign up for Freelanced

I love this website obviously, because as a freelancer, it has all the tools your need to find work. And work equals $$$. 

Pros:
  • It's easy to create a detailed profile with you resume, price per an hour, and samples of your work
  • Searching for jobs is easy with the ability to select the type, region and keywords for your desired job.
  • The portfolio looks professional, and could serve as a website for artist's without a personal website.
Cons: 
  • In order to apply to certain "featured jobs" you need to pay a monthly membership. I don't really find this as a con though, because the membership gives you more exposure and a larger portfolio. 
  • There are quite a few applicants for each job, so you need to make sure your work stands out.
 Website #3: Sign up for Pinterest

This is one of the most visually driven websites I have encountered, and I've had mild success promoting my artwork on it. I'm sure others can have great success if their artwork fits the style of the most popular pins on Pinterest.

Pros: 
  • It's very easy to share your work posted from other pages such as your blog and website. You simply install the "Pin It" button, and you can create a Pinterest Pin from whatever page you happen to be on.
  • You can sort your art into different pin boards. When you collect  popular content and aesthetically pleasing pins into boards, and have your personal art board sandwiched between these, people will trust your good taste in style, art and design, and take a look. 
  • Pins can go viral with the right description and beauty. 
Cons: 

  • The very high female demographic makes this a niche that you will have to fit into for success. I'm not trying to generalize women, but the pins of Pinterest all have a similar aesthetic quality, (pastels, photo filters, crisp white backgrounds, luxury) My more feminine drawings that focus on florals, a vintage look and fashion do best here. 
  • Pinterest can be an easy way to steal artwork and claim it as your own.

Website #4: Sign up for Penciljack


This website is called "The Comics Lab" but they welcome all types of artwork. I was referred here by my dad Steve Funnell, and enjoy the community on this site.

Pros:
  • Strong community of professional artists who give some of the best critiques on submitted work.
  • There are weekly sketch groups, contests, and art trades to keep  motivation up.
  • Each member gets a personal art blog, which has gotten a great amount of views and shows up decently high in the Google search results. 
Cons: You can't have an icon and signature until you've posted a certain amount of times, and this is painful for the those of us who like everything to be personalized. 

Website #5: Sign up for Fine Art America
Do you like to sell your work but don't want to deal with shipping and losing your original art? This is the solution.

Pros: 
  • If you sign up for a membership, (the price is very reasonable) you are able to embed a store widget into your website and blog to give visitors easy access to your shop.
  • There is a good community on this website, and people are happy to congratulate your sales.
  • Fine Art America offers many options to the customer such as paper type and size, so they can purchase your painting on canvas as it was intended to be viewed.
Cons:
  • Make sure to mark up your prints enough, the website sets the minimum of each print around 10 dollars, and you need to add the amount of money you would like to make. But if it gets too high, you discourage buyers. It's a very delicate balance. I hate pricing art.
  • The site seems hard to be discovered on, that is why the external store widget is important for getting sales.

So those are my reviews of 5 art websites I use to promote my art. When I recover from typing this,  there are more I'd like to write about.

Leave a comment and let me know if you agree with these reviews.Also, if you have a favorite website for art promotion I didn't mention, let me know.







Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home